The Pinyin Massacre: Cameroon Communication Minister, Issa Tchiroma’s Side Of The Story
By Arrey Bate
Following the Friday May 25 massacre of Menka -Pinyin, Mezam Division of the North West Region, the Cameroon army has been accused of executing over 27 people.
In respond to these killings, Cameroon’s communication office headed by Minister Issa Tchiroma has projected a video which shows crimes and other inhuman exactions committed by “secessionists”.
Alongside the video, Minister Tchiroma makes mention of investigations carried out by armed forces which to him revealed a gang which was planning an attack to disrupt the just ended May 20 celebrations.
Tchiroma said investigations carried out by competent administrative authorities revealed armed gangs who had been planning terror for several months to sabotage the celebration of the 46th edition of National Unity on May 20, 2018.
“In fact, these groups of individuals had settled in these place for nearly two months, secretly wielding their different plans of attack “, Tchiroma told press men in the Monday May 28 press conference.
“Taking advantage of the suspension of the Ashong Gendarmerie Brigade near Batibo, the attackers used new corridors to install full cantonments”, he said.
Few hours after the press briefing, he posted more details on his twitter handle with some excerpts which we compiled in this report.
Minister Tchiroma said the 27 youths killed in Menka were terrorists wreaking havoc in Buchi, Piyin and Menka.
“27 terrorists were neutralized, one captured, another one injured who is currently receiving medical care from the military Health Unit. Thanks to this special operation, five shotguns were seized, including 17 weapons of war, 10 hunting weapons, over 2,000 ammunition, 30 military uniforms and 5 berets belonging to gendarmes and policemen coldly murdered by the same terrorists in Bali, Belo and Batibo.
The group of criminals neutralized by our Army had settled 2 months ago in Menka, Pinyin and Buchi. They were terrorizing and extorting people. They embarked in drug trafficking, forcefully recruited young people for the purpose of their gang and repeatedly raped young girls.
In their criminal deeds, they assassinated the Commander of the Bali Research Brigade, and one of his elements, and also a pupil gendarme. They launched an attack against Widikum, Batibo and Amba to prevent the 20th May celebrations in these localities
Within the same period, two girls and two boys were kidnapped and released against the payment of ransoms by their parents. Two daughters of the President of the PINYIN 5 CPDM Sub-Section were in turn abducted and brutally raped.
On May 22, 2018, the Fon of Menka village was visited by assailants of the same criminal group who, after molesting him, made away with his hunting weapon.
On May 23, these terrorists settled in a motel in Menka. They beat the mother of the owner as she tried to prevent them from besieging the motel; she’s still in a critical condition. The assailants transformed the motel into their headquarters where they held 15 persons hostage”.
About the picture which circulated social media of a boy hung to the ceiling, read Tchiroma’s reply below
(see screenshot below)
He ended by saying President Biya was committed to restoring peace and security in Cameroon and this greatly needed the collaboration of the entire nation.
However, it is argued that those killed by the military were unarmed civilians and not terrorists. Many lay blame on the military for brutalizing the nations citizens rather than protecting them.
While investigations continue on the issue, the Anglophone crisis continues to rock the English speaking regions of Cameroon recording several deaths, thousands displaced from home and hundreds wounded.
It is estimated that over 30,000 have become refugees in neighboring Nigeria.
Join thousands who read and trust ARREYB News Reports Daily.