Rejuvenating SOBA: Executive Guards The Lasting Faith And Integrity
Here is the reply to every wagging on what apparently seemed to be a backlash from some individuals or a cabal on the solid foundation upon which the Sasse Old Boys Association was built and founded.
The Sasse Old Boys in this communiqué have illuminated the gems of the tutelage which are Faith and Integrity.
SOBA Publicity Secretary, Edwin ESELEM writes on behalf of the organization to address certain issues.
Apparently, SOBA isn’t dying anytime soon, it is reinvigorated.
Read the complete communiqué below: ——————————————————————————-
“…In the words of Anthony T. Hincks,Division isnt always a maths problem, its also humanities.
As much as adversity is expected, when it comes from within, it must be nipped in the bud before it goes out of control.
It is important to clarify national and international public opinion on the convening of the just-ended elective General Assembly meeting and the brouhaha that has ensued.
Article 23(2) of the SOBA constitution states:Where the National President or National Executive fail to convene the General Assembly for a period of three years or more, the Principal of Sasse College or a minimum of at least three Chapter Presidents shall summon a revival General Assembly which shall elect a new National Executive to run the affairs of the Association.
A chronology of events below leading to the General Assembly paints a glaring picture of the current status quo.
- 13th January 2018: The Soba General Council holds a meeting in Douala and arrives at a number of resolutions. Many executives of SOBA chapters were represented at this meeting including representation from SOBA Buea and SOBA Victoria.
- 16th January 2018: The Secretary General (SG) of SOBA General releases a communiqué with reference S.G001/SOBA GC/2018 which contains the call to a General Assembly scheduled 10th March 2018 (communiqué resolution 9)
- 17th January 2018: A letter is done in Buea calling for a Revival General Assembly on the 4th March 2018.
As demonstrated in the roll-out of events, the 16th day of any month precedes the 17th day of that month. Simply put the 16th comes before the 17th.
As a result, based on the timeline of events, the letter calling the Revival General Assembly is time-barred by the constitution of SOBA.
With reference to the said Article 23 (2), the General Assembly has been delayed by approximately 18 months.
However, it was still convened before any call for a Revival General Assembly had been initiated.All within the provisions of Article 23(2).
In a letter dated 24th January 2018, the Proprietor of Sasse College, Bishop Bushu dissociated himself from the Revival General Assembly and fully endorsed the already called General Assembly scheduled on the 10th of March 2018.
The Bishop of Buea as proprietor of Saint Josephs College Sasse is par excellence a voice of reason whose position in the current situation is a pointer to where we intend to steer the course of the SOBA ship.
The General Assembly was actually due to hold in Sasse College in October 2016.
However, due to the force majeure which clouded the North West and South West regions at the time, security dispositions were precarious.
For months, Sasse College was deserted and all forms of public gatherings and manifestations were strictly forbidden by the authorities.
Key Milestones In the wake of these unfortunate outings, it is important to underline some major successes recorded by the National Executive under the chairmanship of Professor Ephraim Ngwafor since he was elected at the helm of SOBA of which in the spirit of Sasseism, we as SOBANS, have to be proud of.
- After many years of grid-lock, we have successfully secured the Land Title for the parcel of land in Buea – promise delivered
- Successful Registration of the SOBA name and logo at OAPI- promise delivered
- Re-activation of SOBA Nigeria- The National Executive including a team of SOBANS from Cameroon alongside the Bishops representative made a trip to Nigeria (Oyo State) for this historic event. It was indeed a successful affair
- Successful roll-out of membership cards for each registered Member of SOBA- promise delivered
- The Successful Organisation of the 75th Anniversary in December 2014 which attracted global acclaim and recognition
- The launch of SOBA Cooperative Credit Union Limited (SOBACCUL) with current capital at approximately 200 million FCFA. This project by every standard is the most ambitious endeavour made by any alumni association in this country and thanks to the Leadership of the SOBA Yaoundé chapter the promise has been delivered
- A new gate at the Sasse College Campus – thanks to SOBA Yaoundé
- Kick-starting the process of revising the SOBA constitution which was first done in 1947. ____________________________________
The draftsmen left their mark, and now it has fallen on us to discharge our own duty to engrave our own part in history to ensure SOBA remains one, unbreakable and inseparable band of brothers till the end of time.
Mapping the way forward Chinua Achebe, celebrated novelist, poet, professor, and critic in his widely acclaimed work ‘Arrow of God’ writes no matter how great a man is, he can never win a war against his kinsmen.
The light of Saint Josephs College Sasse, should steadily guide us through, inspiring us even through hardships and misunderstandings like these to excellence.
The task which is incumbent on us all now is to continue giving Sasse College and SOBA the pride of place it deserves among the concert of colleges and alumni associations.
As Martin Luther King rightly said an individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.
At the end of the day, what goes down into the record books is our individual and collective contribution in giving our college and our association its pride of place so that stronger together we will uphold the ideals of SOBA and Sasse, a place for you and me!
For and on behalf of the National Executive, Edwin ESELEM, Publicity Secretary (Public Relations Officer)